Monday, May 18

Kale mashed potatoes

This past weekend was my dad's birthday. My mom and sister and I cooked him lunch. My assignment was the mashed potatoes. Its dads favorite. At first, I was disappointed with a boring side dish, but I decided to change it up and find an interesting recipe. I found this one over at 101cookbooks. Thankfully I had all the ingredients at home, so I gave it a try and it was really good! Dad loved it and it was healthy. (No butter or cream! But that will be our little secret)

Kale Mashed Potatoes
5 potatoes, yukon gold works best, peeled and cut into quarters
4 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale, chopped
3/4 cup warm milk (I used skim)
pepper
5 scallions, chopped
1/4 cup parmesan (optional)

1 Put chopped potatoes in large pot and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt and bring to a boil, until tender. About 20 minutes.
2 While the potatoes are boiling, heat two tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in a saucepan. Add the kale and minced garlic and a pinch of salt. Saute until softened.
3 Remove tender potatoes and drain. Mash with a potato masher, fork or a hand mixer.
Slowly stir in the warm milk, a little at a time until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
4 Pour the kale over the mashed potatoes and stir.
5 Make a well at the top of the mashed potatoes and pour remaining two tablespoons of olive oil. Top with scallions and parmesan cheese.

3 comments:

Kristina Strain said...

Isn't 101 Cookbooks the best? I love their vanilla mashed sweet potatoes.

Erin said...

These sound like a great variation of a side dish I always enjoy! I really like Kale, too. Thanks for sharing!

Lickedspoon said...

Your dad's a lucky guy! Thanks so much for visiting my blog - fellow mascarpone addicts always welcome.