Thursday, June 4

"Refried" Beans

Yummy yum yum I love beans. Any time of the day, morning, day snack, night, midnight....I always wondered why they were called refried beans though. After some research, now I know why. After you cook the beans and mash them, you are supposed to re-fry them in a pan with oil and onions. I thought that this step was unnecessary, so I skipped it! What I was left with was.........the same thing! It tasted like refried beans, it look like refried beans, ant it smelled like refried beans. Except healthier! You can be creative with the leftovers – burrito, tostada topped with refried beans, cheese, lettuce, etc., dip, mexican pizza, even make falafel balls with them! The possibilities are endless.

"Refried" Beans
2 lb beans – I used a mixture of pinto and northern beans, dried
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt 'n' peppa

1 Cover dried beans with water, 2 inches higher than beans, in a bowl. Let soak for up to 6 hours.
2 Discard water and place beans into crock pot and again cover the beans with water, 2 inches higher than the beans. Set on low for up to 8 hours.
3 Add minced garlic into the crock pot with the beans and cook on low for another 30 minutes or so.
4 Turn crock pot off and transfer beans to a separate bowl. Mash with fork or potato masher.
5 Season with salt and pepper as needed.

17 comments:

Cori said...

Beans beans, the musical fruit...
I love to make them this way with black beans and jalapeƱo - you don't even miss the oil! I have never, not once in my entire 27 years, made beans from scratch. You make it sound easy!

Anonymous said...

What a delicious bowl of beans! Yummy!

unconfidentialcook said...

I love beans, too--and could that possibly be easier?No reason NOT to eat beans!

Lo said...

Love beans -- and these look delicious. :)

So, these are UNfried beans, then??

Zoe said...

Lo- That's right! UNfried.

Zoe said...

Cori- Can I confess something? This was my first time too!

FOOD IS LUV said...

i'll definitely have to try this! never thought of using the crockpot...that's great!

FOOD IS LUV said...

i'll definitely have to try this! never thought of using a crockpot..great idea!

Heather S-G said...

I'm a refried bean lover. Your recipe is so simple...I bet the flavors shine through so brightly! Yummy.

wuxiapiank said...

I never buy refried beans anymore. I used to cook up my own beans, but I don't have a slow cooker at the moment so I usually buy canned beans and mash them. Sometimes I fry them, sometimes I don't. I neve use much oil either way.

♥peachkins♥ said...

perfect poached egg!!!What a great way to end your day...Thanks for visiting my blog today.

Unknown said...

Those beans look great! I will definitely have to try this sometime.

I did some poking around though, and I found out that 'refried' beans is actually a bit of a mistranslation. Apparently in Spanish, refritos means 'well-fried', not 'refried'. So your recipe might be quite traditional after all!

Kristen said...

Yummy! (and I always wondered about the re-fried bit too)

Michele said...

Your beans look delicious!

grace said...

i had no idea it was so easy to replicate refried beans at home! never again will i need to get a can of fatty, salty refried beans. :)

test it comm said...

Creamy refried beans are always good!

Hannah said...

Looks delicious, and so much better for you than anything pre-made in a can.