Tuesday, July 14

Mom's roasted potatoes

When you think of your mom's cooking, what is the first dish that comes to your mind?

Casseroles?

Turkey on thanksgiving?

Bologna sandwiches?

Well, the first that comes to my mind are these oven roasted potatoes. It is one of my favorite comfort foods. My mom has been making these ever since I can remember, and boy are they delicious. This side is so simple yet tastes amazing and always reminds me of home. The sauce is made up of 5 basic ingredients: Olive oil, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper. Thats it! This is a great make ahead side dish for a party or just the fam. Enjoy!

Mom's Oven Roasted Potatoes
3 potatoes, cut anyway you want
4 tablespoons olive oil
about 3 tablespoons of paprika
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt 'n' peppa

1 Prepare the sauce in a small mixing bowl: whisk the oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika together.
2 Peel potatoes and cut into whatever size you want, I cubed mine.
3 Pour the sauce over the cut potatoes and coat thoroughly. Let sit for 30 minutes. (optional)
4 Preheat oven to 400 degrees (I used the toaster oven) and spread the potatoes with all the sauce in a baking pan and cover with foil. Bake until tender (about 40 minutes).
5 If you want crispy potatoes, after the potatoes are tender take the foil off and bake further for 20 minutes or until desired level of crispiness.

Thrifty note:
I got these cute bowls from the home section of an asian supermarket. Can you believe it? You never know where you are going to find stuff, but Im always on the lookout! The first thing that attracted me was the vibrant green color, Im trying to break out of the blues! :)

29 comments:

Peanut Butter Swirl said...

ohh how I just love roasted potatoes :)
sounds like they turned out amazing!

Unknown said...

When I think of my mom's cooking i think of shake n'bake chicken lol. These potatoes look delish!

Christo Gonzales said...

good looking potatoes! for me the memory is homemade pizza with ground beef and roast chicken with mashed potatoes and white gravy.

Creative Classroom Core said...

Comfort food at its finest!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those look really delicious! I always add paprika and garlic to mine too...

Cheers,

Rosa

Heather S-G said...

I love the beautiful color on these potatoes...they sound simple and tasty! And yup, luv the bowls :)

ChichaJo said...

These roast potatoes sounds delicious! I will try your mom's recipe next time I have potatoes...love the addition of paprika :) Love the bowl too!

Michele said...

These potatoes look just amazing!

Michele said...

My mom made potatoes like that too! I love how you got yours to brown so nicely! I love a good crunch on the outside and a creamy middle!

Pam said...

Roasted potatoes are my favorite! Cute bowl too.

Anonymous said...

okay...I never thought of making things like this in the toaster oven! I make some that are similar to these, but I use a chili seasoning packet instead of the paprika. So yum!

grace said...

my mom's specialty is bread--biscuits and rolls and all kinds of sourdough. she's an outstanding bread machine. i love these potatoes--it's a keeper of a recipe and technique for sure!

Faith said...

I love the gorgeous color of these potatoes! Your bowl is really cute, great find!

Parita said...

i love roasted potatoes, love the click, so tempting!

Winchester Manor said...

My mom is from the South and she used to make something very similar, only hers were fried. I like the idea of roasting them. Thanks for yet another yummy recipe!

xoxo
Karyn

~~louise~~ said...

I LOVE oven roasted potatoes! Your mom's recipe sounds GREAT! Thanks for sharing...

unconfidential cook said...

I make oven roasted potatoes all the time, and we all love them. This Sunday we're going to a bbq, and the hostess has asked me to come early to make them (she doesn't ever turn on the stove!).

Reeni said...

The bowls are pretty! Especially with these delicious taters in them! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Roasted potatoes are such a good food memory! My mother wasn't much of a cook, and fried hamburger patties are the main thing I remember. Not fondly.

Justin said...

i love this photo

My comfort food network said...

This sounds and looks good too. The red color from the paprika is lovely. Love your thrifty finds. I found some great bowls today for as low as $3. I was thrilled. Will be showing it off soon. :-)

nora@ffr said...

love rosted potatoes very much. being so healthy is the part i love abt it :) yers look absolutely amazing!!
cheers!!

Olga said...

Those look really good: they'll be good the next day in a salad.

Speaking of moms, mine gave me a tip she learned from Food TV: while you are preheating the oven, keep your cookie sheet there too! That way it will be hot and once the potatoes hit it, they'll form a better crust.

theUngourmet said...

Love the oven roasted potatoes! Your photo is gorgeous!

I just could not get it together for BSI! :0(

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Classic and easy! I love roasted potatoes. One of my favorite side dishes.

Zoe said...

Olga-Thanks for the tip! I'll remember that next time.

Soma said...

Even before the potatoes , i was going to ask you where u found the bowls... Love the roasted potatoes.. i make mine like this(sometimes on the stove too), but add rosemary sometimes.

Zoe Francois said...

gorgeous website, your photos are just stunning!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

That was a score on those bowls.

Those potatoes sounds delish! I looooooove me some potatoes! Your blog is going to be go to for potato recipes.
~ingrid