Saturday, April 17

Sugar-Broiled Grapefruit


My mom used to make this when we were younger as a quick weeknight dessert. We loved it. It was juicy, sweet, tart and also fun to eat. It was like a scavenger hunt, scraping all the last bits of sweet nectar from the bottom of the grapefruit. My mom crumbled some brown sugar on top and microwaved it. It was still delicious, but I wanted to give it a deeper, smokier flavor. I broiled it in the toaster oven instead and it was great! I think any citrus would work, orange would be especially lovely too. I also sprinkled some sea salt before serving because I was craving a sweet salty flavor. Give this a try as an easy dessert, snack or even breakfast.

Just slice the grapefruit in half, crumble brown sugar over the entire exposed grapefruit and put under the broiler for 10-15 minutes or until caramelized.

10 comments:

Joanne said...

I have been on THE biggest grapefuit kick ever lately. This looks amazing! Have to try it.

Chocolate Shavings said...

What a great way to enjoy grapefruit, I like your photos too!

Lea Ann said...

Love this. Never heard of grapefruit prepared this way, I've got to give it a try. Great photos.

♥peachkins♥ said...

This looks awesome!

blowing peachkisses
The Peach Kitchen
peach and things

Anonymous said...

These pictures are incredible. I have always wanted to try this, but I never have any grapefruit around when it makes sense to do so!

Fig and Cherry said...

Ooh I love this! Such a quick and easy idea that taste so yummy! Pink grapefruits are in season right now in Oz, so I'll have to give this a try this week. Thanks for the inspiration!

grace said...

gorgeous pictures! i'm quite fond of this treat--i broil mine in the oven after smothering it with brown sugar and cinnamon. :)

Karen said...

That sounds divine! I love grapefruits -- never thought in a million years to try this with them though. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

A wonderful way to prepare and eat the grapefruit, will be sure to try!

Anonymous said...

I have had/loved this, but I used some fresh ginger in there too! nice little spice to go along with the grapefruit and brown sugar