Saturday, June 12

Apple Crisp

applecrisp

I don't normally bake, but today I looked over at my fruit basket and saw a high pile of apples that I left for Adam when I was out of town this week (he did not eat any of them!) So, I instantly thought to make apple crisp because it's gooey and delicious and I love that crunchy topping. Plus, my favorite part — no pie crust to worry about! This is a spectacular dessert and very easy, even for an amateur baker like me.

You start with some cinnamon sugar mixture tossed with about 7 peeled sliced apples.

applecrisp2

Then the streusel topping. Flour, brown sugar, butter and oats!

applecrisp3

And into the oven it goes at 350 for about an hour. And it comes out like this: Hot and bubbly and crisp on top.

applecrisp4

applecrisp5

And of course, a la mode is highly recommended.

applecrisp6

applecrisp

Yummmmmm.

Note: I did sort of step-by-step photos for this recipe because it was easy to transport the baking dish to my large window in my living room. I usually don't show step-by-step photos when I cook because it is too difficult to take the pan, skillet, saucepan to the living room every step for a photo. I hope I have a window in my next kitchen! Let me know if you like the step-by-step or not. I will try to do more if you do. Enjoy!

Apple crisp

about 7 apples, any type will do, peeled, cored and sliced
3 tbs sugar plus 1.5 tsp cinnamon mixture

Topping:
1 1/3 cup flour
1 1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 stick butter, slightly softened

1 Preheat oven to 350. In an 8x8 baking dish, arrange a layer of apples and top with some cinnamon/sugar mixture. Repeat, alternating apples with cinnamon/sugar until all apples and remaining mixture are in the baking dish. Toss all together.

2 In a separate bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and butter. Using your hands, mix well together until butter is evenly mixed throughout. Take a handful and mix the topping in with the apples. Sprinkle the rest on top, covering all the apples.

3 Bake for about an hour until bubbly and hot. You might want to bake it on top of a baking dish in case the liquid bubbles over while baking. Serve warm with ice cream.

7 comments:

Joanne said...

I love crisps! They are so much easier than pie crusts and just as delicious.

Heather S-G said...

This is awesome...and a la mode is definitely the way to go ;) I like the step-by-step...or not. Whichever way you decide, cuz your pictures are always beautiful!

katy said...

Agreed, easy and delicious! Step by step photos can be so hard -- I'm always so impressed when people do them! Your crisp looks great -- and so does the shrimp scampi!

Kerry Maffeo said...

mmm...you need to bring some of this stuff in for a taste test! What's the point of working with you if there aren't any foodie benefits? :-D

and flowers pick themselves said...

how delicious! i adore the photos :)

xo Alison

Juliana said...

Yummie...great with ice cream...like the idea of having oats in it :-)

Kitchen Butterfly said...

Looking forward to making an apple crisp soon..........something nourishing and comforting about baked apples!