Sunday, December 20

Late Latkes

I know Hanukkah is over, but I haven't gotten a chance to post my favorite Hanukkah treat – Latkes!! Even though Hanukkah ended on friday, you can still enjoy latkes all year round. My grandmother prepares latkes all the time, sometimes as an appetizer. They are soooo good and everyone loves them. The toppings are where people have differing tastes. I am a sour cream girl. I love the cool cream on top of the hot crispy potato cake. Adam has to pair his latkes with applesauce (gross!) and some even like to mix sour cream with applesauce together (blech!) Toppings aside, these are a snack/side dish/appetizer everyone will love!

Latkes
4 potatoes, serves 2-3
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper
vegetable oil

1 Peel the potatoes and grate with the largest grater hole over a large bowl.
2 Once the potatoes are grated, place them in a clean dish towel, and roll them up jelly roll style and squeeze out the excess liquid. The drier the potato shreds, the less likely they are to burn.
3 Once the potato shreds are as dry as you can get them, put them back in the large bowl and mix in the beaten egg, salt and pepper. Mix well throughout.
4 Heat a medium pan over medium high heat. Pour the canola oil, enough to cover entire pan.
5 Drop in the potato mixture by the spoonful into the hot oil. If the potatoes do not sizzle once they touch the oil, the pan is not hot enough. Work in batches, don't overcrowd the pan.
6 Once the potato cakes are golden brown, flip on the other side and cook until golden. Place on a paper towel to drain the excess oil and continue working in batches.

4 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

They look so crispy!

Cheers,

Rosa

- Amy said...

I like mine with apple sauce and sour cream too!

Chiara "Kika" Assi said...

Ohhh... those look fantastic. I have to admit, I love potatoes and apples together!

Olga said...

It's never too late for potato latkes! I don't know why I never think to make them when it's not Hanukkah.