Saturday, December 26

Baked Eggs with Spinach

This was our dinner the other night.

Jealous?

You should be. Breakfast for dinner is my idea of the ultimate comfort food. The first time I made baked eggs at home, it was with tomatoes and onions. This time I opted for a spinach version, mainly because I had a lonely bag of spinach in the fridge ... and it was absolutely delicious. I served it with a dinner roll and the meal was surprisingly filling. This would be a great brunch dish for guests because it is not as time sensitive as scrambled eggs or omelets. This a sinfully delicious egg dish that will definitely be added to the repertoire, for brunch or dinner!

Baked Eggs with Spinach
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
9 oz bag of fresh spinach
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon butter
1/3 cup half and half
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
4 eggs
shredded parmesan

1 Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2 Bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a heavy oven proof skillet. Add half the spinach and toss until wilted. Add remaining spinach, toss, cover and cook for 2 minutes until tender. Drain in a colander and cool with cold water. Squeeze out as much liquid as you can (I did this with my hands) and roughly chop.
3 Wipe the skillet dry and melt butter over low heat with onions and garlic until softened. Stir in cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg and chopped spinach. Stir and remove from heat. Here, I transfered the spinach mixture to a casserole dish but you can leave it in the skillet if you'd like. Make 4 indentations in the spinach and crack four eggs in those indentations.
4 Bake uncovered for 7-10 minutes until whites are set. Lightly season with salt and pepper and parmesan cheese when done.

7 comments:

Lauren said...

definitely jealous! this looks lovely and comforting without being too heavy. nice job!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A perfect combo!

Happy Holidays!

Cheers,

Rosa

♥peachkins♥ said...

love baked eggs..

nora@ffr said...

I bet it smell superb...from the combination! Great job!! hope ye had a wonderful Christmas!! wishing you a very happy new year!!

Faith said...

Baked eggs with spinach sounds like a fantastic dish any time of day!

Jen said...

Yum! I love breakfast for dinner, too! I'll have to try this recipe :)

ali @ gimme some oven said...

Gorgeous!!!

I bet your house smelled amazing! :)