Tuesday, August 18

Grilled Figs

I finally found figs at the farmers market! I have been waiting so patiently. Every week the man said "next week, try next week" and finally the day has come! Aren't they beautiful? The colors are so bright and bold. Since I already had the george foreman heated up from my eggplants, I threw on some of the figs to bring out the sweetness and caramelize them a bit. They were warm, gooey and sweet. Great as a quick dessert topping on ice cream, or my favorite, mascarpone. I drizzled some honey on them just for a bit more sweetness. You could even stuff them with goat cheese and they become a savory appetizer! Yum!


Grilled Figs
1 package of Mission figs
1 tablespoon Honey

1 Wash figs well and pat dry. Halve the figs lengthwise to expose the beautiful red color inside.
2 Place figs cut side up on the grill for about 5 minutes. Then turn them over to brown the other side.
3 When browned and heated, remove the figs off the grill and arrange on a plate. Drizzle with honey and serve over ice cream or as is!

16 comments:

Leslie said...

mmm.what a nice, easy and healthy treat

KennyT said...

Oh, I love enjoying figs this way too, fresh figs are terribly expensive in Hong Kong.

LK- Healthy Delicious said...

mmmm my fave!!! I think I could eat fresh figs every day and never get tired of them.

Heather S-G said...

Oh I'm so jealous...how I wish that I could get fresh figs!!!!

Stacey Snacks said...

Zoe,
and you didn't dedicate this post to me?
I think I am going to lose readers to my blog because I talk about figs way too much!
I made spiced figs this week and they were to die for!
I eat them every a.m. on my Greek yogurt.
I hate when summer ends, because that means no more figs.
boo hoo.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm grilled figs. Delicious!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Simple and fantastic!

Cheers,

Rosa

Parita said...

Nice idea!

Reeni said...

So simple but so divinely delicious! I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of these beauties too.

Faith said...

I love how grilling really brings out the figs' sweet flavor...delicious!

Cucinista said...

I live for fig season. When it finally comes I eat as many as I can in as many ways as I can. I like what you've done -- so simple, yet so genius!

Hannah said...

I don't usually go for plain, fresh figs... But maybe that's because I've never had them like this! I'll have to keep an eye out for when they return to local markets to try this technique. :)

Michele said...

Fantastic recipe!!

♥peachkins♥ said...

grilled fruit are always the best dessert. healthy and yummy! I've never had fresh figs,though

ChichaJo said...

Oooh! I'm so jealous! I love fresh figs but they don't grow them here so I've only ever had them out of the country...these looks gorgeous!

nora@ffr said...

vat a great idea!! shud try this soon!
cheers!!