Sunday, November 8

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

I've been on a 101cookbooks kick lately. Heidi's recipes are so simple, healthy and delicious ever time. I wanted a healthy version of a classic lunch style soup — Broccoli cheddar soup. Potatoes are normally used to give a thicker consistency as an alternative to cream, as this recipe does. This is a must for your fall soup collection and a great way to get your veggies in. In the photo above I used mozzarella cheese as a topping because I used all my cheddar for the actual soup, but if you have cheddar leftover use it!

Broccoli Cheddar Soup- I omitted the croutons
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large potato, peeled and cubed
2 cloves garlic, minced
3.5 cups broth
1 large head broccoli cut into small florets (I used two small ones)
2/3 cup cheddar, shredded
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard

1 Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot, saute the onions until softened with some salt. Stir in the potatoes, cover and cook for about 4 minutes until tender.
2 Uncover, stir in the garlic and stock. Bring to a boil and stir in the broccoli. Simmer for about 5 minutes until tender.
3 Remove the soup from heat and blend with an immersion blender. Add the cheese and mustard. Add more water or stock if needed for desired consistency.

7 comments:

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I totally agree about Heidi's recipes...super delicious! I have yet to try this recipe yet but it looks fantastic! Perfect for Fall:)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A perfect flavor combo! That soup must taste really good!

Cheers,

Rosa

♥peachkins♥ said...

i love brocolli and cheese so I'm sure I'll absolutely love this soup.

Leslie said...

Yep..its soup season! And what a delicious soup you have here!

KMS said...

this is a GORGEOUS bowl of soup!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Mmmm, your soup looks and sounds good. Thank you for sharing.
~ingrid

mycookinghut said...

I love the softness of the background of the pic!!